Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I need a portable rig for electric violin. Can you make some suggestions based on my current equipment?

electric-violinI
looked over your list of current equipment, taking into consideration that you have been told to treat my violin as though it were a guitar and your need for portability). Here is the list that you provided.

Boss (Chromatic Tuner)Boss (Chorus
Ensemble Pedal)Boss (Turbo Distortion Pedal)
Boss (Volume Pedal)Line 6
(Verbzilla)Gator Pedal Board (as I travel
extensively and need to be pretty
portable
electric guitar, and have already purchased the
following items:
Boss (Chromatic Tuner)Boss (Chorus
Ensemble Pedal)Boss (Turbo Distortion Pedal)
Boss (Volume Pedal)Line 6
(Verbzilla)Gator Pedal Board.

I do not necessarily agree with treating the violin like an electric guitar. Guitar is basically a mid-range instrument, and most equipment is designed for this frequency range. It can be quite difficult to render/EQ the higher frequencies violin uses without creating a sound that I would call one-dimensional and a little "empty."

Nevertheless, pedals are a good start. In my opinion ( and pat's, stern, etc) delays with some pitch modulation to spread the sound out are the key to enhancing any electric instrument, to sound "big" and project.

I recommend stereo rig to best utilize the pedals. I doubt a compressor would be of value, as violin is already naturally compressed.. A simple volume pedal should be more than enough. Need for eq depends on whether amps have enough eq. EQ is needed for acoustic guitar to notch out feedback frequencies. I tried Zeta's MIDI converter a while ago and wasn't sure it did a good job tracking the violin. As with any of this equipment, it is a good idea to experiment with it before purchasing, if possible.

Ideally, you would need to try everything and keep what you like.